Sunday, January 19, 2014

Latin Vegan Coconut Arepas "Tortas"

 
 
Its been a yummy cold week here in Ohio. It is now in the teems (12 degrees) and the sunshine is not warming us up. The wind feels like a frozen knife cutting your face. It may be cold out there, but in here its been a yummy week.
 
I have been preparing some new dishes and re-cantering some old ones.  I am planning to re-introduce some old recipes that go back a good 3 or 4 years and I plan to give them a new twist to make them taste even better.
 
Here is one delicious treat I make every so often. I just love the flavor and if served with cream cheese its divine. In Mexico they are called Arepas but in Puerto Rico they are called tortas.
 
 
These sweety pies are not only easy to make but they are also quick to put together.
 
Here's my recipe:
 
1 c. brown flour
1/ c. TVP
1 T. sugar
1/4  c. shredded coconut
3-1/2 T. coconut butter
1/2 t. salt
& some warm water
 
Mix all the ingredients except the butter. Then add the butter and a little bit of warm water slowly until the flour has mixed together with a nice smooth consistency like soft bread dough. Take it in your hands and squeeze the flour dough with a bit of more flour to make the dough less sticky and to make it more ply-able in your hands. Make small or medium size round balls. Have your pan nice and hot but not scorching hot. Take one ball at a time and widen them with your hands to create the tortas like mine. Place them on the hot pan at a med. low setting... (I used my Cuisinart pannini grill) for my tortas and that's how they came out with those grill lines. Make sure the tortas are thoroughly cooked once they have a golden brown color. Serve with any topping you wish.

 
My tortas were divine with some Non Dairy Vegan cream cheese...yummy.

 
It was a wonderful breakfast.

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of these sweetened. They sound fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are fabulous as a breakfast treat.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...