Sunday, April 21, 2013

Millie's Spaghetti Olivio



As time passes by, I realize time is quickly catching up with me. The day are shorter, time flies by quicker than ever before and I do not get as much done in one day as I used to. I guess its called getting older.

I really felt getting older when my ex-husband and the father of my two boys passed away this last Monday from an 8 month bout with stomach & liver cancer at the age of 61. It was a bittersweet feeling, the loss of someone I loved very much when I was very young and my only son loosing his father to the same illness that took his little brother's life when he was 15.

As we mend our broken hearts, the kitchen definitely becomes our escape from reality. One day I woke up and decided I had to make something for dinner that I truly love to eat and that would make me feel good after all we have gone through in the past week. So I decided to make some of my Spaghetti Olivio. An Italian dish I discovered many years ago in a restaurant in which I love and cannot get enough of because of its delicious flavor.



 
I hope you make this easy and quick side dish that is so delicious you'll want to eat it all yourself...enjoy.
 
Recipe:
 
1 lb. gluten free spaghetti noodles
3/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
8 small cloves of garlic segments
(mashed well in food processor)...set aside
 
1 well diced yellow onion
1 T. non dairy Smart Balance Vegan Butter
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. black pepper
 
Simmer the olive oil in a non-stick cooking pot with the mashed garlic cloves & diced onions on low, tenderize the onions until they glisten...then add the cooked spaghetti, salt, black pepper & olive oil.  Let it simmer on low for 2 minutes, stir lightly and simmer for an additional 2 minutes. All done, remove from stove top and serve with your favorite vegan  meatless side protein dish and vegetables. Enjoy. 
 


From my Caribbean Vegan Kitchen to yours...SALUD!
 

2 comments:

  1. I make something very similar. It's a nice, easy dish.

    So sorry to hear about your loss. I hope you are surrounded by loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you BM...I'alright. The Lord definitely gives us peace in moments of sadness.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...