Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Winter Soup

 
 
It has been a very busy Winter for me so far. Some painting projects were completed, my home office was cleaned and organized, all my files look amazingly neat, lots of papers were shredded and my entire apartment went through an extensive cleaning, reorganization and purging...I LOVE WHEN I DO THIS twice a year. Now I am relaxing and enjoying my "ME" time and my very cleaned home.
 
It was also that time of the week when the refrigerator gets completely cleaned out and reorganized for the new groceries to arrive. When this happens most of the small amounts of veggies gets used in great homemade soups and casseroles. This last weekend I made this kale and bean soup that was amazingly delicious and I even shared with my 88 year old elderly neighbor. She truly enjoyed the soup with some Triscuit crackers on the side.
 
Here's my recipe
 
1 can of butter beans
1 can of garbanzo beans
1/2 box of whole wheat linguine noodles
1 hand full of whole wheat corkscrew noodles
1 or 2 hand fulls of chopped kale
2 stems of celery
 (well chopped in small pieces)
 
1 diced large yellow onion
1 diced yellow pepper
 1 diced red pepper
6 leaves of recao
 
(These are Recao leaves...found only in Spanish stores)
 
 
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. onion & garlic powder
1 Sazon envelope
(with culantro & achoite in it)
 
1/2 c. tomato sauce
1 tsp. of olive oil
1 container of vegetable broth
2 c. water
2 T. sofrito
(recipe on file)
 
Toss everything into a large soup pot and boil for about 20- 25 minutes.
If you feel that it needs more salt just add it...enjoy!
 
 
 
 
From my Caribbean Vegan Kitchen to yours...SALUD!
 


2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...