Sunday, February 24, 2013

Collard Greens and Blackeye Peas

 
 
In the 80's I worked in a beauty salon in which there was a beautiful black girl who specialized in treating black African hair. But one thing I remember from Bridget was her excellent and so delicious collard greens. It was to die for. I am licking my lips as I type. So this week my friend Bridget came to my mind and ever since then had been craving for some collard greens. I love when I make it with a ham flavoring without the ham.
 
I use Jamon, a Hispanic artificial ham flavoring that has no ham in the mix, but has the flavor of ham. I use it for most of my recipes and it gives the food a great flavor. 
 

So I made some this week and it came out great. So here is my recipe and I hope you enjoy it.
 
3 c. chopped collard greens
1 can black eye peas
3 T. olive oil
2 T. sofrito
(recipe for sofrito is on file)
 
1 lg. yellow onion
 (diced)
 
2 envelopes of Jamon Flavoring
10 leaves of Recao or 8 sprigs of cilantro
 (chopped finely)
 
1/8 tsp. black pepper
 
Saute' in a wok or large skillet the olive oil, recao and onions on low heat for about 3 minutes, add  sofrito and saute' for 1 minute, then add the collard greens, black eye peas, 3 T. vegetable broth and jamon. Saute' lightly and cover for 3 minutes. Uncover, stir lightly, let it simmer for 3 more minutes uncovered and then serve with the rest of your meal plan.
 
I served mine with mashed potatoes, butter beans and baked spicy temphas. My spicy baked temphas is on file.
 
 
 
 
From my Caribbean Vegan Kitchen to yours...SALUD!
 
 


6 comments:

  1. Hi Millie!

    This looks and sounds soo full of flavor! Looking at it all together with the butter beans and mash is making my stomach growl right now!

    Also, thanks for your email. My blog address is http://flyawayvegan.blogspot.com

    I haven't been posting lately, and my camera is broken. I hope to start posting again sometime this spring.

    Rose :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Rose, your back on schedule.

      Delete
  2. What an outstanding meal you had there! My husband would love that new dish; he's from Arkansas and loves his beans and greens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bm, this meal was delicious and I hope your hubby and everyone else truly enjoys it...thank you for stopping by.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...