Sunday, December 30, 2012
No Bake Apple Walnut Tart
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!
I sure hope your holidays are a merry one.
Here at home it has been quiet and nice. I spent Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with my son and his lovely family and to my surprise my daughter in law made me this delicious No Bake Apple Walnut Tart. This tart was divine and I definitely had to post this recipe on my blog. The photo was taken at her house and this is the piece I cut out after dinner, but because it was sooooo delicious I had to get another serving. I ate out of this tart until I came home the next day...it was too good.
So here is the recipe and I hope you can make it soon and let me know if you do.
2-1/2 c. walnuts
1-1/2 c. dates
(Medjool dates work well)
3 sliced green granny apples
juice of 1 lemon in a cup of water
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
2 T. honey
1/2 c. apple juice
1/4 c. (dark brown) raisins
1. Combine walnuts and dates in food processor. Make sure you remove pits if dates have them and cut off ends where the stem was. Process until well mixed and ground, but not smooth (about 40 seconds). It should be a coarse texture when done. Press evenly into a 9 inch tart pan. Set in refrigerator while making the filling.
2. Slice apples by cutting them into quarters. Cut out core and slice crosswise in 1/4 inch thick slices. Put into lemon water while you finish cutting apples. Drain well in colander when done.
3. Place apples in a large skillet with rest of the ingredients and cook for about 10 minutes stirring frequently on medium heat.
4. Remove apples with a slotted spoon from hot pan to a bowl and cool completely.
5. Reduce liquid to about half the volume and then cool.
6. Spread apples evenly over crust. Brush apple juice syrup over apples. The tart can be served right away or it will keep in refrigerator until needed. Keep tart covered in refrigerator so it doesn't pick up moisture. Top with a little Non Dairy Vanilla yogurt or ice cream if desired...ENJOY!
From my Caribbean Vegan Kitchen to yours...SALUD!