Sunday, December 30, 2012

No Bake Apple Walnut Tart

 
 
 
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!
 
I sure hope your holidays are a merry one.
 
Here at home it has been quiet and nice. I spent Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with my son and his lovely family and to my surprise my daughter in law made me this delicious No Bake Apple Walnut Tart. This tart was divine and I definitely had to post this recipe on my blog. The photo was taken at her house and this is the piece I cut out after dinner, but because it was sooooo delicious I had to get another serving. I ate out of this tart until I came home the next day...it was too good.
 
So here is the recipe and I hope you can make it soon and let me know if you do. 
 
Crust ingredients:
2-1/2 c. walnuts
1-1/2 c. dates
 (Medjool dates work well)
 
Filling:
3 sliced green granny apples
juice of 1 lemon in a cup of water
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
2 T. honey
1/2 c. apple juice
1/4 c. (dark brown) raisins
 
Directions:
 
1. Combine walnuts and dates in food processor. Make sure you remove pits if dates have them and cut off ends where the stem was. Process until well mixed and ground, but not smooth (about 40 seconds). It should be a coarse texture when done. Press evenly into a 9 inch tart pan. Set in refrigerator while making the filling.
 
2. Slice apples by cutting them into quarters. Cut out core and slice crosswise in 1/4 inch thick slices. Put into lemon water while you finish cutting apples. Drain well in colander when done.
 
3. Place apples in a large skillet with rest of the ingredients and cook for about 10 minutes stirring frequently on medium heat.
 
4. Remove apples with a slotted spoon from hot pan to a bowl and cool completely.
 
5. Reduce liquid to about half the volume and then cool.
 
6. Spread apples evenly over crust. Brush apple juice syrup over apples. The tart can be served right away or it will keep in refrigerator until needed. Keep tart covered in refrigerator so it doesn't pick up moisture. Top with a little Non Dairy Vanilla yogurt or ice cream if desired...ENJOY!
 
 
 
 
From my Caribbean Vegan Kitchen to yours...SALUD!
 


10 comments:

  1. How clever to come up with a tart like that! Would be perfect for times when it is too hot for the oven, or when the oven is too full of other goodies! Happy new year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes Theresa, it is a superb dessert for those hot Summer days...have a happy new year.

      Delete
  2. Raw tarts are the best! Yummy. Happy, healthy New Year, Millie. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year Dynise...enjoy your life.

      Delete
  3. Excellent Blog you have here! First time visitor but am now a follower...hope to be back often! Swing by my place if you have time :)

    http://blissfulyogajourney.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for stopping by, I hope to see you again. I put up a post every Sunday.

      Delete
  4. How nice of her to make something special for you. Happy New Years, Millie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...she's a gem. Happy New Year BM.

      Delete
  5. Wow,that sounds delicious Millie! I'm sure gonna make it, just wondering what I could substitute for the walnut (since I'm allergic), coconut maybe... The slightly cooked apples sounds nice too. Looks like you had a nice time over the holidays! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovlie...I think coconut would be great, try it and let me know how it was....have a great new year.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...