Sunday, May 13, 2012

Sweet & Sour Bean Sancocho



In our Latin culture Sancocho is a big hit in many of our family reunions and picnics.  As a vegan I needed to veganise my Sancocho to fit my diet.
 Sancocho is a typical Puerto Rican stew. It is usually made with goat meat and ham or beef. Sometimes the islanders use all of these meats in one pot to give the Sancocho more flavor. Sancocho also contains many types of roots, spices, beer  & grape juice. 

My Sancocho was made with tofu, some roots, pinto beans, grape juice  and spices. It came out wonderful and I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did.
1 can pinto beans
 (drained & rinsed well)
2 ripe plantains
(cut in medium pieces)
2 large sweet potatoes
(cut in medium quarters)
1 medium size Malanga root
(peeled & cut in small almost medium sizes)
2 medium potatoes
(cut into small quarters)
1/2 block of extra firm tofu
(diced into small pieces)
3 T. sofrito
(recipe in my recipe file)
1 c. Welch's grape juice
1 container vegetable broth
1 c. water
1/8 tsp.chili powder
2 tsp. olive oil
1 can tomato sauce
1/2  c. brown  sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1 lg. yellow onion
(chopped)
6 sprigs of cilantro
(chopped well)

More salt & pepper can be added as you wish
As you finish chopping each item for the Sancocho just toss it into a large soup pot. Then add all the spices, vegetable broth and cook it on the stove until it creates a saucy cream. Serve hot with some fried green plantains on the side with your choice of bread or crackers...excellent meal.

From my Caribbean Vegan Kitchen to yours.

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow, this sounds really interesting and delicious! The pic looks so savory and good too. I've never had sancocho; I really want to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, so many wonderful spices. Another wonderful Puerto Rican dish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious! I love sweet and sour.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...