Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Vegan Alfredo Sauce over Corkscrew Pasta



I have been missing out in not eating pasta with regular Ragu Alfredo Sauce. This used to be a favorite of mine before I became a vegan 10 years ago.  Since vegans avoid dairy redoing most of our recipes becomes part of our normal cooking habits. Re- inventing Alfredo sauce was one of the recipes I had on my list, so here is what I came up with, I like it and I hope you like it too.


NOTE...I did not add non dairy mozzarella cheese on my Alfredo sauce because of my allergies towards the yeast that's in the cheese, but I know that if you add it to this recipe it will kick it up a notch to make it an excellent dish.


Here's my recipe.

1 box of corkscrew pasta (I used whole wheat)
 (boil with salt & drain well before uniting with the sauce) 
Veggies needed:

1/2 c. frozen Lima beans or frozen peas
15 cherry tomatoes
(sliced in half and rinsed well)

5 large stems of green onions
(use the entire stem & chopped finely)

1/2 large sweet onion
1/2 tsp. salt
1 envelope of Jamon
(artificial Spanish ham flavoring "its vegan friendly")

2 T. dried parsley
1 tsp & 1/2 tsp. garlic & onion powder
1 tsp. chopped dry onions
3 T. olive oil


Sauce ingredients:

3/4 tub of extra firm tofu'
1/2 c. vegetable broth
1/2 c. non dairy milk

and 1 cup of shredded non dairy mozzarella cheese  (OPTIONAL)

Step 1...boil & drain your pasta.

Step 2...Prepare your sauce.

In a food processor whip well the tofu, vegetable broth & milk...set aside.

Step 3...Simmer all the veggies.

Saute' all the veggies in a non stick skillet with the oil, butter and spices, keep the temperature heat on low, saute' for about 10 minutes, then pour in the pasta and the sauce. Stir lightly keeping the heat on low as you add the cheese...then let it simmer for 5 minutes and serve. If you feel it needs more salt, add it as you wish.

Serve hot with your favorite side dish...enjoy.

I served mine with a spicy black bean salad, breaded tofu & a homemade dinner roll...delicious.  

From my Caribbean Vegan Kitchen to yours...SALUD!

3 comments:

  1. Mmm, this sounds divine, so packed with herbs and flavors. Looks lovely and creamy too. Sounds like a great dinner with the salad and tofu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a question, Millie - if you're doing a vegan version, why add the cheese? It looks like you're suggesting regular cheese, not the vegan kind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, so much clearer now. Thanks, Millie. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...