Sunday, February 26, 2012

Homemade Leftover Soup...Another Poor Man's Dinner



Its almost the end of the month and this means just a few food items are left in the refrigerator until grocery day.  When this happens in my house...I make soup with the ingredients I have in the fridge.

With that thought in mind I made another Poor Man's Dinner out of a little bit of leftover veggies, chick peas, TVP & Shirataki Spaghetti noodles. Throw in some spices and "OLE" I have a great soup for dinner.


Here is my recipe and I must say I could not eat just 1 bowl, I had 2 bowls with crackers...yummy.

1/2 c. chopped kale
1-1/2 c. cooked barley
2 c. chopped collard greens
3 large size Brussels sprouts
(chopped in small pieces)

1 chopped yellow onion
1 c. cooked garbanzos
1 ripe plantain
( sliced in circles and then sliced in 4)

3 envelopes of Jamom
1 envelope of Sazon

1/2 tsp. salt & black pepper
(use more if you wish)

1 T. onion & garlic powder
1/8 tsp. red crushed pepper
1 T. parsley
1/2 can of tomato sauce
1 T. olive oil
1 T. homemade sofrito
(recipe in my recipe box)

1/2 bag of Shirataki Spaghetti noodles or use any noodles of your choice.
1 container of vegetable broth & 2 cups of water.

Put everything in a large soup pot and boil until soup has become flavorful and saucy.
Serve with a sandwich or crackers.




From my Caribbean Vegan Kitchen to yours...SALUD!


1 comment:

  1. This is like my "cook all the veggies before they go bad soup!" Some of the best stuff! Soo good. Yours looks wonderful!

    http://haymarket8.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...