Monday, January 23, 2012

Caribbean Vegetable Pie




I had such a desire to eat a good vegetable pie, so I made one this weekend for my Birthday. My pie turned out very good and very tasty and my son and his family enjoyed it too. Also my family bought me a very delicious Pumpkin Vegan Cake. It was divine...sorry guys we didn't take any photos of my cake...but it was good!

Here is my recipe for my pie:

1-1/2 c. garbanzo flour
1/2 c. rice flour
2 ripe plantain bananas
 (sliced in circles)

2 medium size broccoli crowns
(chopped in small pieces) 

1 orange pepper
(diced finely)

1 c. frozen Lima beans
1/2 c. frozen green beans
8 sliced Brussels sprouts
 (sliced in half)

1 diced yellow onion
1 tsp. onion & garlic powder
2 tsp. parsley flakes
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/4 c. of flax seed
3 T. vegetable broth
1/2 c. non dairy butter (melted)

Step 1...The night before chop your plantains and mix them with your veggies in a large mixing bowl...add to them 1 envelope of Sazon, 1/2 tsp. salt and some adobo for taste. Add to them 1/4 c. olive oil, mix well and place this bowl (covered) in the refrigerator until right before you begin to prepare for your pie the next day.

Step 2... Right before starting to put together your pie crust place your veggies in a colander to drain well all the liquid.

Step 3....Mix all dry ingredients and the spices on my list in a mixing bowl, then add the vegetable broth, mix well and then add the butter, mix well until it is all mixed. Have your baking dish already sprayed with a non stick spray and mold the flour into your baking dish in a nice pie form. 


Add your drained veggies to the pie crust and arrange them nicely. 

Bake at 375 (covered with foil) for 30 minutes, uncover the pie and bake it for another 25 to 30  minutes. Let it sit for 20 minutes before serving.  



My Birthday gift arrived Friday...my brand new custom made solid oak platform bed and with it a custom made super firm mattress for my arthritic bones is fabulous. This bed is so beautiful.  It has sliding doors underneath for extra storage and it is super comfortable...I love it. This was made by my ex-husband. He has been a custom upholsterer for 46 years and he a pro when it comes to making anything with wood.






From my Caribbean Vegan Kitchen to yours...SALUD!

7 comments:

  1. That looks amazing! I really love vegetable pies! I may give this one a shot!


    http://haymarket8.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing looking meal! I must try this sometime. Happy Birthday to you, dear! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Millie, belated Happy Birthday to you!
    I love how you made that pie...the vegetbles on top looks so beautiful!
    Congrats on your new bed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday!

    Your veggie pie looks so delicious! I'm going to make one soon; I love plantains and should eat them more often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! First of all, happy birthday! :-) That pie looks fantastic, yum. And, what a great present from an ex-husband! It's nice that you two sound like you still get along.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday, Millie! The pie and the bed both look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy belated Birthday to you Millie. That pie looks seriously good. I've never made a crust in this way before, looks very interesting. The bed look superb! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...