Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Puerto Rican Oatmeal ( A Caribbean Delight)




Since I was a little girl my Grandmother made me homemade oatmeal almost every morning for breakfast. I loved it and since I still make it like hers, I decided to share this Caribbean oatmeal recipe.

 In my grandmother's youth poverty was a strain for many of the islanders, so this dish also became their dinner. A delicious Poor Man's Dinner indeed. I hope you also enjoy it.
This recipe is for one serving only.


1/3 c. quick oats
1/4 c. cream of wheat
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. cinnamon
a small pinch of powdered cloves
1/2 tsp. flax seed
 1 & 1/2 tsp. sugar
1 & 1/2 c. non dairy milk
1 tsp. non dairy butter

Stir constantly under medium heat until the oatmeal has thickened a bit. Lower heat to low temperature and let it simmer for 3 minutes. Pour in a bowl and enjoy.



2 comments:

  1. That sounds very comforting and homey. I'd like to try this recipe, but replace the cream of wheat with cream of rice. Do you think that would work well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grandmas make the best dishes, don't they?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...