Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Besitos de Coco...Coconut Kisses




I made these cookies last year but since they are so good I made them last week and I had to repost this recipe again. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do every time I make them.



All the islands throughout the tropics are know mainly for their delicious array of fresh fruits and vegetables. One fruit that is not only used for cooking but it is also great for baking is the coconut.


 
Coconut cookies are currently found in every home and grocery store throughout the island and the tourist flock to buy them because of its great tropical taste.


 
Throughout my grand-mother's youth (early 1900’s), flour, rice, sugar, fresh fruits, beans, fresh vegetables and roots were their only sustaining foods. These early islanders created many dishes with these staples that are now a delicacy throughout Puerto Rico.


 
So as you enjoy the aroma of these sweet spices simmering in your kitchen, just imagine my Grandma making these cookies for you. I hope you can imagine the joy you will have when you bite into one of these scrumptious cookies. They are divinely delicious and you won’t eat just one, I guarantee you that!


My Recipe

1-1/2 c. freshly grated coconut

2 c. flour

1-1/2 c. melted butter

1-1/2 tsp. cloves
1 well mash med. size fresh ginger

1 tsp. salt

2 tsp. cinnamon

4 cinnamon sticks

2 cups white sugar

1 can coconut milk

2 TBL. vanilla

On a low heat put all the spices & the coconut milk in a pot and bring them to a boil, then let them  simmer for about 8 to 10 minutes on very low heat. Remove the spices from the stove and let it sit until cooled before using them. Then strain your spices to separate the spice mixture from the juice. In another mixing bowl pour in your flour, sugar, salt and grated coconut, mix well and then start adding slowly the simmered sweet juice of spices. As you pour in slowly the spices, mix it all well until it becomes a cookie dough consistency.


Spray a large baking cookie tray with a non stick cooking spray and then drop the cookies with a spoon (like dropping dumplings in water).  Bake for 18 to 20 minutes at 350 degrees.


Place baked cookies on wax paper or cooling racks to cool off.  Enjoy, they are DELICIOSO!



From Millie’s Caribbean Vegan Kitchen to yours...SALUD!



3 comments:

  1. Imagining the aromas now...I think I need to make some of those cookies. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great Millie! Very Island-y!

    http://haymarket8.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look beautiful! You have an award at my blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...