Thursday, August 11, 2011

Spicy Semolina Butter Bean Split Pea Soup




Since my spine surgery I have been making some light and easy meals. I was desiring some soup but I did not know what I wanted. So I took a peek into my food storage and I noticed there were several split pea bags on my grain shelf...so I boiled a bag and I made some really good semolina butter bean split pea soup. It came out so good that I ate it for the next three days in a row. So here is my recipe with a little Caribbean flavor of course.

1 bag of split pea...(boiled well )
(after its cooked use only 1/2 of it for the soup)

1/2 c. semolina pasta
 (I used the tomato, spinach and plain semolina mix) 

2 table spoons of homemade sofrito
(1 onion, 8 sprigs of cilantro & 6 cloves pf garlic-crushed all ingredients in the blender...save leftover for any other meal needing a touch of spice & flavor)

1 can butter beans
3 envelopes of Jamon
1/2 envelope of Sazon
1 table spoon of garlic powder
a dash of crushed red peppers & black pepper
1 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. salt

In a large soup pot por in all the ingredients and boil them until the soup is saucy. Serve with crackers or a nice grilled cheese sandwich... its delicioso.

From my Caribbean Vegan Kitchen to yours...SALUD!



2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! Does the pasta not bother your arthritis? If I were to make this I'd have to use gluten-free pasta...but I don't think it would change the dish much at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. no julie, the pasta does not bother my arthritis. Actually I eat a lot of wheat pasta, but I had to eliminate bread and cooking flour from my diet. It made me feel very sluggish, my joints ached a lot and I was extremely tired. But the pasta is fine.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...