Sunday, June 12, 2011

My Great Grocery Finds




Every two weeks I go shopping at our local MARC"S grocery store.  This wonderful and cheap store has everything you can ever imagine available for small change. One of the places I raid at 8am every two weeks is the produce department. And I do this because every morning MARC"S cleans through all their produce and they bag a lot of it to sell for $1.00 a bag. Yep $1.00...and for $22.00 dollars I stock up with all the vegetables I need for the next two weeks...check it out. 




This is what I bought:
5 pineapples...freeze for smoothies
1 mini Mellon
6 mangoes
6 oranges
2 bags of collard greens
5 avocados
1 large bag of fresh green beans
4 cucumbers
5 lbs. bananas...cut and freeze for smoothies & banana muffins...yum!
1 cantaloupe
2 tubs of cherry tomatoes
6 large tomatoes
2 sweet onions
4 large seedless cucumbers
1 Nature's Gate Natural Toothpaste










I am going to share with you my secret in how to preserve all of this produce to stay fresh for two weeks.

1. Take all the produce out of their original plastic bag.

This plastic bag sweats and it rots the food quicker. Put the produce in the blue bags you bring from the store. This bag breaths which is what the vegetables need while they are in the refrigerator.

2. Clean them as soon as you get home.

Wash them well, remove brown leaves or any broken leaves from the vegetables, this causes them to rot faster.
 3.  Eat them regularly...don't let them go bad.


It's always great to pop into Marc's before their produce is all picked over...I am always the first one there when they open. All their bagged produce is clean, no blemishes on them and no rotting.  It is in mint condition.

Now the refrigerator and freezer is full.







From my Caribbean Vegan Kitchen to yours...SALUD!

4 comments:

  1. Nice tips, Millie- a lot of great stuff there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's a lot of produce for such a modest amount! Great stuff, and thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you got some great deals! I really like those coconut milk yogurts!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...