Sunday, May 15, 2011

Caribbean Plantains Smothered in a Coconut Sweet & Sour Sauce





Hello everyone, It sure has been an extremely busy Spring for me. I have been cleaning, organizing and shredding papers, unnecessary documents as I go through thoroughly inside my 3 large file cabinets. That was my April & May household project to do.

I have also been busy in the kitchen cooking up some good Caribbean dishes for my blog.

Here is a dish I prepare every so often and I like to serve it with Caribbean roots or brown rice. It is simple to make and very tasty.

1 can kidney beans
1 can chick peas
2 ripe plantains (sliced in round circles)
1/2 of a head of cauliflower
1 large seedless cucumber
1 large yellow onion (sliced or chopped finely)
1 bunch of thin asparagus
6 green onion stems
1 bottle of Kikkoman's Sweet & Sour sauce
1 tsp. brown sugar
1 can of Goya Coconut water (17.6 ounces)
2 envelopes of Jamon
1 envelope of Sazon
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. dried basil
2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. olive oil
2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoon of white flour
1/2 c. water





In a large skillet stir fry on low heat all the vegetables & beans in the olive oil & vinegar for about 5 minutes on low heat. Then pour in all the spices & onions, then stir fry it all lightly. As this is cooking mix the water & flour in a bowl, pour it into the skillet along with the coconut water, stir well and then mix the sweet & sour sauce with the brown sugar, pour it into the skillet and stir it well and simmer everything on medium heat for 5 minutes (covered), then stir well again covered for 10 minutes. Stir again lightly and taste it to see if you would like to add more salt to your dish. Cover and cook for about 5 or 10 minutes more. 

 Enjoy



From my Caribbean Vegan Kitchen to yours...SALUD!




1 comment:

  1. I just had plantains for dinner last night. I really like them. I've never had them combined with coconut but I bet that is really good.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...