Monday, May 9, 2011

Another Poor Man's Dinner "Sabrosisimo Gandules con Calabaza & Platanos"




I have been a very busy beaver lately and it seems like I have been drifting away from my Spanish cooking due to all the things I've been doing.  Cooking typical Spanish meals can be a bit difficult since us vegans do not eat meat.  Most Spanish dishes require pork or chicken in the recipe so for me to share with you any of our island dishes means I have to veganise them before I present them to you. This requires much of my time in the kitchen trying to make them taste like the real thing. 
 This poor man's dinner is a typical inexpensive dish made by most of the elderly people in the island of Puerto Rico. 

When my 95 year old Grandmother was a teenager, the poor people in the island used home grown roots, plantains, corn & grains as their main diet source. These food essentials were used constantly  since they were harvested in their own properties.  I love all these Poor Man's Dinners...they are the core of our culture and the basic components of our Spanish cooking. I hope you enjoy this dish like we do.


1 can of Green Gandules
(Goya Brand)

2 plantains
(medium ripe & sliced in circles)

2 c. calabaza cut in small quarters
2 envelopes of Jamon
1 envelope of Sazon (with culantro & aciote)
4 to 6 mashed fresh garlic cloves
(in a pilon or in the blender)

5 to 6 sprigs of cilantro
(mashed with the garlic)

1/2 can of french style cut green beans
 (chopped in small pieces)

1 small jar or can of red peppers or 1 fresh red pepper
(1/2 of it chopped & mashed with the garlic & cilantro and the other 1/2 chopped finely)

2 Tablespoons of olive oil
1 medium yellow onion
(diced in fine small pieces)

1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/8 tsp. red crushed peppers
1 or 1-1/2 c. vegetable broth 

In a large skillet simmer on low the oil, mashed condiments and chopped spices,  saute' lightly, then add the gandules, plantains, calabaza, all the other spices, saute lightly, pour in the vegetable broth and cover on low for 20 minutes, then saute' lightly, cover and simmer for another 5 to 10 minutes. Serve with your favorite protein...I like it with bbq chicken seitan...Delicious! 


ENJOY!

From my Caribbean Vegan Kitchen to yours...SALUD!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Millie I came across the blog via twitter thanks to ChicaVegan. The recipe looks very simple but one ingredient puzzles me. Why would you add Jamon to a vegan dish? There are vegetable based bullion cubes that I would use and not an animal by-product. We have made mofongos, canoas, piononos (mate's mom made them). I love turning Puerto Rican dishes into vegetarian or vegan recipes. Although we initially used a lot of faux products, we are starting to use more organic and plant based recipes at our home. Regards Lucy Feliciano www.veglatino.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...