Monday, April 25, 2011

Banana Bread & Rolls


Copyrights Reserved-Millie Torres-Nuestracena



One day a week I drive about 40 minutes to my son's house to babysit my two grand-daughters after school. One of the things I do while I am there is cook dinner for the entire family. As usual I always try to make bread but last week as I was cleaning the kitchen I found 6 very ripe bananas that gave me the idea of using them in a loaf of banana bread. Due to the fact that there were a lot of them for 1 loaf,  I decided not only to make the banana bread but to also make about a dozen of banana rolls. They really turned out well and my family ate them all up.

Of course I couldn't eat them because of the yeast, but my kids said they were delicious.



Copyrights Reserved-Millie Torres-Nuestracena



My Recipe:

6 ripe bananas
3 c. flour
2 dry yeast envelopes
(mix with 1/2 c. very warm water)

1 tsp. salt
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. of ground cloves
1 tsp. pure vanilla
3 TB. shortening
1 c. non dairy milk

In a small bowl mix both yeast envelopes with very warm water, then set it aside. In a large mixing bowl pour in the flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon and cloves, mix it well and set it aside. Then mix the vanilla with the yeast and pour it into the floured mixed bowl, then put in your shortening. Mix it well with a wooden spoon and add then slowly add the milk and some extra flour as you are mixing. Pour in milk and flour until you have a nice soft and smooth bread dough that is non sticky.
  
Knead the bread with a floured surface for 5 minutes then set it inside the mixing bowl, cover with a clean kitchen towel for 1 hour. Then knead once more for 5 more minutes, divide your dough in 2 parts.

Dough #1...Make 3 long tails of dough and braid them nicely, tuck the ends under the bread and lay it on the top of a large baking pan that has been previously sprayed with a non stick spray. Cover with the clean kitchen towel and let it rise 1 to 2 hours.

Dough #2...Spray your muffin pan with a non-stick spray and then divide the dough into medium size round balls. Then nicely place your rolls into each muffin spaces.  Cover them with a clean Kitchen towel and let  them rise for about 1 to 2 hours.

Bake at 370 for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown like mine.   

ENJOY!

Copyrights Reserved-Millie Torres-Nuestracena




Copyrights Reserved-Millie Torres-Nuestracena


From my Caribbean Vegan Kitchen to yours...SALUD!

6 comments:

  1. Talk about delicious—your banana bread looks INCREDIBLE, Millie! I just bookmarked the page, as I definitely want to make this for Mother's Day! Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, your homemade bread looks delicious! I've made banana bread more as a snack cake, with baking powder but not yeast. What an interesting and cool idea to put them in a yeasted loaf; it sounds really good! :)

    Here's my blog address:

    http://flyawayvegan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing like freshly baked bread- yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great that you are such an accomplished baker that you can make something so tasty without having to even try it yourself! Lucky family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Rose, I've never had a yeasted banana bread either, but it sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh yum, as soon as bananas stop costing $15 a kilo I will have to try this - the sounds of a yeasty banana bread is so appealing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...