Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Maseta & Pilon




For many of you that do not know what this is or what we Hispanic use it for? This is a Maseta & a Pilon. This wooden Maseta & Pilon can be found in every home throughout the entire island of Puerto Rico.  It comes in an array of designs and styles. The most common design is the one I have on my photos. They are mainly made out of wood, coconut shells or marble. 

This little gadget is mostly used to make our homemade sofrito (our Spanish spices). As you see in the photo below I had just crushed some garlic & cilantro for my Spanish beans.




So whenever I mention sofrito in my recipes...this is what I mean. 

Here is how to make your own sofrito for one dish:

4 garlic cloves
5 sprigs of cilantro
1 bell peppers
1 small onion

That is sofrito...its simple to make and it makes your food smell and taste delicioso!




From my Caribbean Vegan Kitchen to yours...SALUD!

4 comments:

  1. just got a wooden "mortar and pestle" myself, looking forward to using it whil trying out this recipe, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maseta y pilon... great, know the Spanish name for it, we use it a lot in Italy, different types, depending on what you are making.

    I think that it take the best out of ingredients, It really makes food taste special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to check out the mortar and pestle. I've been hearing so much about it lately, including from Alessandra, above.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Millie, I came here to answer your q from my blog: I was just referring to Alessandra, who made the comment directly above me. She also discusses a mortar and pestle on her blog.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...