Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Another Poor Man's Dinner...Squash Mash




As I go through each day I am often thinking of good meals that I can eat to keep me healthy and full. The other day I made this recipe. I called it Squash Mash....crazy right?  This mash is another poor man's dinner made with Calabaza, Tofu & Cauliflower.  Calabaza is a Spanish squash found anywhere throughout the entire island of Puerto Rico and it is found in most Spanish stores or in the Spanish food section of your grocery store. I enjoyed this mash with some breaded temphes and some grilled zuchini & onions...it was divine. I hope you like it too.

6 large pieces of Calabaza
6 large cauliflower crowns
1/2 tub of tofu
1 finely chopped sweet onion
1/3 c. non dairy butter
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. garlic & onion powder

Boil the calabaza & cauliflower until they are very tender...drain the calabaza & cauliflower well until the water is completely drained out. Put these items in a large bowl, add the tofu & spices, beat well until they are really mashed well...Serve hot.



From my Caribbean Vegan Kitchen to yours...SALUD!!!

4 comments:

  1. Wish Calabaza was more available here. I can find it but it's expen$ive, making your yummy poor man's dinner a rich girl's treat. Guess I'll have to substitute the cheapo acorn squashes that they sell in these parts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Squash has always been one of my favorites! Thanks for sharing! :)

    http://haymarket8.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a book about calabacitas. Can we substitute yellow crookneck squash if we can't find calabazas?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't see why not...you have to let me know how it taste.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...