Thursday, February 10, 2011

A Simple Dinner Table Setting and some Delicious Food Storage Dehydrated Apple Crisp








Last week I had two of my church missionaries over for dinner. We had a very yummy vegan meal which I will be posted those dishes in my next post. When I have people for dinner I like to always have a very nice dinner table set up.  This time I did a plain but pretty simple dinner table display. I used my brown wooden plate mats with crispy white dishes. I placed a pop of red color with red napkins inserted inside clear glasses. It was a very simple setting but very elegant looking.

For dessert I made some apple crisp. My apple crisp was done with dehydrated apples from  my food storage that was canned in our church cannery. Many of you may not know that I am a Latter Day Saint (Mormon) and we do keep a well food storage in our homes. We can dry food in our church canneries and they are preserved for 30 years. In my food storage I always keep about 150 lbs. of rice (Brown & White), 60 lbs. of dry beans (black, white & pinto), 60 lbs of sugar, 40 lbs of salt, 60 to 100 lbs of quick oats, 30 lbs. dehydrated onions, carrots & apple slices. I also keep about 60 lbs. of instant mash potatoes, red hard wheat, and sugar.  These are only some of the items we can in our cannery. Food storage is a great part of our religion and we strive to always be self reliant.  Our food storage is there to help us in case of illness, unemployment, death of the main provider, and for moments like a snow storms and other weather conditions. 


Here is a small peek at one of my food storage closets. I have 3 of them. The silver 10 lb. cans you see is my dry canned food from the church.  We can them in 10 lb. cans.







Here is my apple crisp made with my dehydrated apple slices that were canned in 2000.




First step:

Soak in water for 1 hour 3 to 4 lbs of dehydrated apples
(or if you want to make your apple crisp with store bought apples, peel and slice 4 Gala apples)

3/4 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 c. all purpose flour
1 c. quick oats
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground allspice
1/4 c. non dairy butter
non dairy vanilla ice cream to garnish is optional

After your apples are soft, place them in a greased baking pan like the one below.



Second step.... in a med. mixing bowl mix all your dry ingredients well and then pour nicely over the apples half of this mixture, then spoon out your butter randomly spreading the butter throughout the pan...saving half of the butter for the last layer.

Repeat this layer and if you feel you need a bit more butter to coat your flour mixture just put some more in.

Bake at 375 for 35 minutes. 

Before serving stir you apple crisp gently with a large cooking spoon to completely cover any dry  flour with the melted butter.  

Serve with vanilla ice cream. 


This is how it should come out.







ENJOY!

From my Caribbean Vegan Kitchen to yours...SALUD!


2 comments:

  1. Wow! You got stocked up! :)

    http://haymarket8.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Millie! I don't think we'll get THAT stocked up any time soon - we just don't have the space :( - but dreid fruit, beans, and grains are definitely handy to have around, as we recently discovered!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...