Saturday, January 1, 2011

Split Pea Sweet Potato Soup




Yum...what a great way to start the New Year.

I have been cooking some amazing soups for my blog which I plan to highlight many different types of soups throughout the Winter season. This soup was one of my favorites. I love sweet potatoes and split peas, so I married the two for an amazing soup mix. I had 2 bowls full with some homemade garlic & cheese bread.


For this soup I used these ingredients:

2 cups of freshly cooked split pea
2 nice large sweet potatoes or yams
 2 small potatoes
 (cut in small cubes)

2 cups of white beans
3 envelopes of Jamon mix for a ham flavor
(this is an artificial ham flavoring found in any Spanish store)

1 envelope of Sazon
1/4 of tofu
5 sprigs of cilantro
(chopped finely) 

1 tsp. black pepper
1 sliced yellow onion
1 tsp. Kosher salt
1tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
2 cups of vegetable broth

First mix the tofu in a blender with the vegetable broth. Pour that mix with all the other ingredients in a nice large pot. Cook until the broth becomes nice and thick, then add a dash of some red crushed peppers for decor and flavor to each serving. 

ENJOY


From my Caribbean Vegan Kitchen to yours...SALUD!


4 comments:

  1. Happy New Year. Thank you for visiting and commenting on my blog. I don't get a chance to go online much. my husband"s been working at home on the computer. So, I don't get to go online much. Hope you have a great New YEar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never made split pea before but I sure do want to try. It's been non-stop raining out where I live..soup sounds perfect for days like I've been having. I can't wait to read your future posts..you can never have too much soup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really good, I'll have to try it. Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job, Millie! I am looking forward to all your soup recipes. We eat soup year round, we love it so much.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...