Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Hi-Protein Pumpkin Pinto Bean Soup




Since we are expecting 7 inches of snow today here in Eastern Ohio, the cold air made me want to eat some good hot spicy soup.

I love pumpkin & beans together and in a soup it can be mighty powerful.  This hi protein soup gives you so much protein per bowl that you feel so energetic after eating it. I had mine with some homemade wheat garlic bread and then I had some fresh cold can peaches to cool me down.

I used these ingredients for my soup:

1 can of Western Family 100% Pumpkin mix
1 box of vegetable broth
1/2 tub of tofu
1 can pinto beans
1/2 c. vegan sour cream
1 whole red pepper
 (diced in small pieces)

8 sprigs of cilantro
(chopped finely)

4 cloves of garlic
 (mashed real good)

2 T. olive oil
1 Sazon
1/2  tsp. kosher salt
1/8 tsp. red crushed peppers
1/8  tsp. black pepper
1 (stem) of leeks greens (chopped finely)

In your blender whip well your tofu, vegetable broth, pumpkin mix & sour cream. Pour all this mix in your soup pot. Then add all the ingredients in my recipe list. Boil until all the ingredients cook well to create a nice thick broth. Serve with some garlic bread.

Enjoy...it was DELICIOSO!



Serves 6

From my Caribbean Kitchen to yours...Salud!

4 comments:

  1. Delicioso! Wow, that really looks good on a day like this, with an impending snowstorm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, another recipe with a set of ingredients that I would have never thought to pair together. Thank you, Millie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a great dish. I never would have thought to combine pumpkin and pinto but it makes perfect sense! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely high protein, and good for the kids :-), mine love soups!

    ciao
    A.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...