Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving Dinner...Cheddar Cheese Mashed Potatoes & Gravy, Orange Baked Tempeh, 3 Bean-Carrot Salad, Orange-Banana Pie



Thanksgiving is a day of family gatherings, delicious traditional food, music, and lots of love. I enjoyed those days with my boys when they were home. Now as a single woman I spend Thanksgiving alone and I have done this for the past 15 years.  Please don't get me wrong...its not because I am a lonely person, it is by choice.

When my son got married I asked them if we could divide Thanksgiving and Christmas between both families. Her family chose to have Thanksgiving, so my son spends that holiday with her family and I have them for Christmas Eve & Christmas Day. I love it.  On Christmas Eve we have a big Puerto Rican meal and on Christmas Day my vegan daughter in law creates her cooking  magic with her fabulous Eggplant Parmesan, homemade biscuits, pies, carrot cake, salad and of course some ham for my non vegan son and grand-daughters.

These 2 holidays are well spent with loved ones. 

For Thanksgiving I made a wonderful vegan meal.

Cheddar Cheese Mashed Potatoes & Gravy
 Orange Baked Tempeh,  3 Bean-Carrot Salad 
and my Orange-Banana Pie. 


Cheddar Cheese Mashed Potatoes

I made enough only to feeds two. You can adjust the portions depending on how cheesy you like them.

For this day since I was all alone, I used instant Idaho potatoes. Then after it was done I poured the potatoes into a bowl while it was still hot. I added 1/2 cup of non dairy sour cream, 1/2 bag of non dairy cheddar cheese and 1/3 cup of non dairy butter. I whipped it well with a hand beater until the cheese became smooth and melted in the potatoes. That was all and they came out so good.

Gravy

1/2 envelope Vegan Organic Savory Herb Gravy Mix
1/2 tsp. olive oil
1 tablespoon non dairy butter
1/8 tsp. of garlic powder, onion powder, dried basil and black pepper
1/8 tsp. sugar
 1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. white flour
2 cups vegetable broth

Pour all ingredients in a small pot and stir it over the stove until it starts boiling and creates a gravy consistency. I truly loved the way it came out.


Orange Baked Tempehs

Vinegrette Mixture

1 tsp. pure orange extract
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. onion powder
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar 


Flour Mixture

5 tablespoons of egg replacement
1 envelope Sazon (for color)
1 tablespoon flaxseed powder

I cut my Tempehs in triangles then I dipped them into the vinegrette until it absorbed the juices
 (10 minutes). Then I dipped them in my flour mixture, placed them on a greased sprayed baking pan and covered them with foil.  I baked them for 30 minutes at 360 and then I baked them uncovered for an extra 5 minutes. 


3 Bean Salad with Carrots

this was nothing special I used:

1 can of 3 bean salad and 1 can of sliced carrots mixed together.


Orange-Banana Pie


3 ripe bananas
1 can of mandarin oranges (drained)...do not toss away the juice
1-1/2 c. flour
1 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. allspice
2 tsp. ground flaxseed powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
2 caps full of pure orange extract
1/3 c. of the Mandarin orange juice
1/3 c. melted butter.

In one bowl mash your bananas well with the Mandarin oranges. In a larger bowl mix all the dry ingredients, then add all the wet and dry ingredients together. Pour this mixture into a deep pie dish...bake at 360 for 65 minutes.

ENJOY.  


It was a delicious and wonderful Thanksgiving.  Cooking this dinner and spending the day decorating my home was a delight. The entire apartment is decorated and the tree is up and it's gorgeous.




Next Post
Continues our Christmas Cookie Extravaganza Presentation with my Guayaba Cookies from Puerto Rico.


From my Caribbean Vegan Kitchen to yours...SALUD!


3 comments:

  1. Everything looks very delicious, Millie, especially the Orange Baked Tempeh! (What a great idea to use sazon for color!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful meal, Millie! It's so great that your daughter in law is vegan, but how interesting that your son and granddaughters are not. At least the two of you get to enjoy a nice vegan Christmas banquet! I like that you're not afraid to spoil yourself, even when it's just you. You deserve it every day of the year, Millie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a dinner! It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...