Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Christmas Cookie Extravaganza...Coconut Macaroons

Happy Holidays 


Christmas Cookie Extravaganza Post # 4

Coconut Macaroons by Veganlovlie



Hello everyone...I'm Veganlovlie. My blog is:



http://veganlovlie.blogspot.com/



Photobucket

At the present time, I live in Dublin, Ireland, with my boyfriend and sister, both of them are vegan too. This makes cooking much easier and pleasurable! I was born in a non-vegan family, in Mauritius where my parents currently live.
My turning point to veganism happened some time around April 2007 after a series of events that gradually made me stop the consumption of all animal products. The difference I felt within my body was incredible and I have never thought of going back on this decision! The beauty of making vegan food is not only to be able to create a nice tasty meal with simple ingredients but also to experience the wider variety of food than you would think possible without meat. A plant-based diet has peacefully shift my consciousness into greater creativity, far beyond the kitchen, in all aspects of life.

In the professional world, I am a Graphic/Web Designer. In my spare time when I'm not cooking, I do yoga and spend a few hours a week in the gym. I also love sewing and painting but I actually don't find time for these hobbies these days.



What more can I say, when life gives you coconuts, make.... Coconut Macaroons!

I've made these macaroons before but used coconut milk powder which is not always available everywhere or sometimes they are not vegan. So, I've altered the recipe and I am using coconut cream instead which gives good results, if not better I think! These macaroons are slightly chewy.



They are so quick and easy to make and if you want to go for just the basic recipe, only four ingredients is required from the list below that is flour, coconut cream, dessicated coconut flakes and sugar. 


Ingredients needed:




 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons coconut cream
2 tablespoons apple butter (or just use 2 more tablespoons coconut cream)
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional, if you want a real holiday feel!)
1 cup desiccated coconut flakes
½ cup demerara sugar
(yields about 10, depending on the size you make them)





 Preheat oven at 180 degrees Celsius.With some dough (enough for the size of your cookie cutter), form a firm ball and flatten it.



Place on a board and cut the shape out with a cookie cutter. I chose some holiday inspired ones but you can choose any shape. Like the picture below.  Alternatively, you can just leave them as slightly flattened balls. Remaining dough can be returned to the bowl and re-used for the rest.










If adding the topping, you can spread some apple butter on each macaroon. Be careful not to break them, they may crumble at this stage.Place on a greased baking tray. (Or use parchment paper).









Bake for 25 minutes or until golden.


Remove and allow to cool. To remove macaroons from the baking tray, it may be easier to lift them by sliding a spatula under them so that they don't break and place on a cooling rack. (Macaroons are still be quite soft when hot but will harden upon cooling).Dust with icing sugar and/or cinnamon.


For the topping (optional):


2-3 tablespoons apple butter (or any jam)
Icing sugar (optional)
Cinnamon (optional)






Mix all ingredients together and work with the hand until you obtain a dough. (You may need to adjust the coconut cream or coconut flakes to obtain a dough that is not crumbly but not wet either).









 

From Ireland "Happy Holidays Everyone!"
and
From Millie's  Caribbean Kitchen to your...Salud!

11 comments:

  1. That Lovlie is so Lovley!!! These sound like the macaroons I grew up loving at the holidays. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe with us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Millie for posting this on your blog. Looking at these now make me want to do some more!

    Thanks Shelly, the best thing is that they are so easy and quick to make!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great! I haven't had coconut macaroons in ages, but I think I will have to make a batch of these this christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look good - I wonder how to make more in a batch, though. Ten cookies wouldn't last ten seconds in my home! Also, I'm not sure what the demarara sugar is. Thanks, Millie, for supporting fellow bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if you can double or triple the recipe? I am going to use regular sugar if I do not find the demarara sugar. I'll ask her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. blessedmama & Shear Sensations, yes you can double the recipe. Triple might be a bit tricky to handle and mix all ingredients thoroughly. You could double and do another batch if needed. That's what I usually do when I need more, you're right 10 of these don't last long! Regular sugar will also work fine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look really good (compeltely another class than my first attempt at coconut macaroons). :) I have been away for a few days, so I look forward to going through all the previous cookie recipes posted here, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Millie and Veganlovlie! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum i can't wait to make these! We are going to my sister in law's tonight and they are vegan! They sound so deliciously decadent!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...