Sunday, October 31, 2010

60 days of a Christmas Cookie "Extravaganza".... Post no.1 "Lemon Filled Spice Cookies"


Welcome Everyone
and Happy Holidays!

My fellow bloggers and I have spent some time in the kitchen  baking some scrumptious cookies for all of you to enjoy.

 For 2 months we are going to make you savor some great Christmas cookies and here is the first one.

Post 1...It's Me



Hi I'm Millie, the official author and chef for this blog.
I am 52 year old, a divorced mother of two and currently living in Ohio.  My oldest son Billy is 38 years old and yes I was a very young mother when I had him...15 to be exact. I am a self proclaimed writer and interior decorator, a Hair Designer by trade, a poet, a compassionate soul, a devoted member for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and a very frugal lady when it comes to spending money.  I am currently writing my son Sammy's book about his bout and death from cancer at the age of 15. After 32 years of working full time as a hair designer and a part time beauty school teacher, I finally retired.  After being diagnosed with severe crippling  Rheumatoid Arthritis in 2005, I retired in 2007.  Do to my illness which has destroyed both my ankles, I was forced to wear steel braces on both my legs. But even though I am considered disabled, I am not handicapped. 
I truly hope you may all enjoy my first Christmas Cookie Extravaganza. They were all done with love and lots of hard work.

Post No. 1

 Lemon-Filled Spice Cookies



 I hope you like them.



They are very soft and so tasty

Stacked and ready to eat.

 

Two sugar cookie wafer filled with homemade lemon creme filling.

 


Recipe needs:

2 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 c. egg replacement
3/4 c. softened non-dairy butter
3/4 c. sugar
 1/4 c. non-dairy milk
1 tsp. vanilla

Step 1


* Grease cookie sheets with Pam spray and set aside. Mix flour, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, egg replacement and salt in a large bowl, stir ingredients together and set aside.

* In another large bowl mix well softened butter, milk, sugar and vanilla. Beat well with electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually add flour mixture. Beat at low speed until dough forms. Roll dough into a ball, wrap it with cling wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Step 2

Take the cookie ball out of the refrigerator and roll out into 1/2 inch balls like in the photo below, set them on the cookie pan 2 inches apart. Then with the bottom of a glass press each ball down to flatten your cookie dough into a disc form...photo below.


Step 3

Set oven at 350 degrees
Once your cookies are flatten into a disc form like below,


use a fork to create holes on the top of the cookie just like the photo below, then sprinkle them with white sugar.


Bake for 12 minutes at 350 degrees or until golden brown.



Once they are done remove each cookie with a spatula and place them on a cooling rack. As they are cooling begin to mix your lemon filling.


Lemon Filling Recipe


2-1/4 c. powdered sugar
1-1/2 T. of softened non-dairy butter
3 T. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. lemon extract

Beat all ingredients in a bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until it is very smooth.
Makes about 1 cup of filling.

Spread filling on the flat side of half a cookie, pressing flat sides together. Let them stand at room temperature until they set. Store tightly with cover at room temperature or in freezer up to 3 months.


Place 1 cookie on top of the filling.






Makes about 2 dozen sandwiches.



Next Post will be on November 5 by Hungry Vegan...
(Rosewater Glazed Lemony Cranberry Cookies.)

YUM!!!!

Happy Holidays

8 comments:

  1. These look great! I hope I can help you with this awesome idea. I will need to learn how to bake 1st! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to have you aboard...just follow instructions on a baking cookie book. Let me know if you wish to join us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Hey, Millie, looks great! Congrats on post #1 on your extravaganza. So, what do you use as your egg replacement? You said a quarter cup, but I'm not sure of what? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. blessedmama...I use Ener G-Egg Replacement, its an egg subtitute with no egg or animal product. I got it at Nature's Bin in Cleveland. I imagine "Whole foods" would have it too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy World Vegan Day, Millie! These cookies look so delicious, I can't wait to try them! Please check out the Deconstructed Enchilada Bake on my blog. I'm celebrating World Vegan Day by eating vegan on the cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful cookies - I'm sure they taste just as good as they look! :) I can't wait to see all the cookie recipes coming up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Millie these cookies look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks really nice! I will try it! Thanks for hosting this Cookie Extravanganza! It's so much fun!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...