Friday, September 3, 2010

"Ninos"..."A Caribbean Minature Plantain Banana"





Out of all the different types of bananas that grow in our island of Puerto Rico, "Ninos" are an extreme favorite among most of the islanders and tourist. It is a miniature cousin to the large plantain banana and it is very sweet in taste. This small and flavorful banana is used in many dishes throughout the island, but the most common one is fried in a flour batter spiced up with some salt, black pepper and chopped cilantro before being fried.  Because I watch very carefully my health, I always bake mine instead of frying it. Which comes out just as good or even better. Below is a picture of a Nino banana and one of them with its peeling removed. This banana is half the size of a regular banana and should be eaten ripe.


 Here are my "Ninos" before baking.


And here they are after baking.  Bake at 350 for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.


 I also took some firm tofu and I chopped it in small pieces, I dashed some Adobo, black pepper & salt over them, then I smothered them in Kikkoman's Sweet & Sour sauce, Then I baked them for 20 minutes in the oven with the Ninos. I then served my tofu with my Ninos & a nice salad. Oh my this is a vegan's delightful dream.


 A complete dinner in 30 minutes...and it was delicious!


4 comments:

  1. Ninos? What a cute name. I love baking bananas for dessert but still have not tried it in a main dish. I really must, I am very curious about what it would taste like. Perfect meal for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like plantain...but we had them usually candied or just ate them raw...it sounds great to serve as a main dish too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dish looks great - I love how you love your food! You make me want to come to your island so you can cook for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great, I think I'll try it this weekend. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...