Tuesday, August 24, 2010

My Vegetarian Rice Casserole



I am such a sucker for casseroles...Yes I am and no matter what it contains ( it must be vegan friendly though) I just can't resist myself.  I made this vegetarian rice casserole that even though I made a large pan of it, I wish I would of made two of them. It was so good that I had to freeze all of it to prevent me from eating it all in one day...it was very tempting and it kept calling my name over and over again...he...he. But I managed to stay away from it. So here is my recipe and if you make it please let me know what you thought of it.

Recipe Ingredients

1/2 - firm tofu ( diced in small pieces)
1 large sweet yams ( sliced in small pieces)
5 stems of green onions (chopped in small pieces -  leaves & all)
1 large yellow onion (diced finely)
 2 large carrots diced in small pieces
1 bunch (hand full) of fresh green beans (chopped in small pieces)
2 cups white rice (you can use brown rice...but I used white)
1 box of vegetable broth mixed with 8 oz. of water
1 can pigeon peas (drained and rinsed well)
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 onion powder
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1/8 tsp. oregano
1/2 envelope of Sazon (with culantro & achiote found in any Spanish store)
1 tsp. flour
7 garlic cloves (mashed well)
5 sprigs of fresh cilantro (chopped finely)




Chop all your ingredients well then set aside. In a large bowl mix vegetable broth with water & flour, salt, garlic & onion powder, black pepper, oregano & Sazon, then taste it to see if you need more pepper or salt...set aside. In another large bowl mix all the chopped veggies, tofu, pigeon peas, rice & sweet yams....then add both bowls of ingredients together, mix well with a large cooking spoon, then pour everything into a lightly greased 9 X13 baking pan...cover with foil and bake at 375 for 35 to 40 minutes....then bake uncovered for 5 more minutes. Enjoy...Serves 6.

This is the way it will look before baking.


Enjoy...it is yummy.




This is how it should look after baking.


From my Caribbean Vegan Kitchen to yours...Salud!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recipe! I love casseroles, too. They're tasty and they're easy to clean up.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...