Sunday, August 29, 2010

Homemade Pizza


Pizza


 
There is nothing more desired and so satisfying to me than bread...and when its made in a pizza, I love it even more. For some reason pizza is such a delightful meal. It so tasty, flavorful, satisfying and so good. I made this just a few days after my back surgery. Before my surgery I thought I would be bedridden for a while, but to my surprise I was up and about 2 days later. My mother bless her heart, she came to help with my care, but unfortunately I noticed her mind was not as sharp as it used to be and she often forgot it was time to eat...so I did most of the cooking. I made light meals like soups, salads & BBQ dishes, but I felt real good so I made my homemade bread mix and then I layered my pizza with pepperoni, vegan cheddar cheese, mushrooms, sweet banana peppers, diced tomatoes from my garden, and some chopped green peppers.

Here is my pizza before baking.


My bread recipe:

2 c. bread flour
1 c. wheat flour
1 tsp. salt
3 T. shortening
1/4 c. vegetable oil
2 T. white vinegar
1 quick  rise yeast packet

In a small bowl mix your yeast with hot water, stir well and set aside until later. In a large mixing bowl mix your dry ingredients first, then add all your wet ingredients. After mixing it together if the dough is dry add slowly more hot water until the dough mixes better...do not over do it with the water. Put your dough on a clean surface and slowly add flour to it as you knead. Once the dough is no longer sticky stop adding flour to it. Knead your dough for about 10 minutes then make a nice ball and place your dough in your bowl, cover it with a clean towel for 1 hour...then knead again for 5 minutes and then stretch it out on your pizza pan...curving the edges so you get a crusty edge. Top your pizza with a pizza sauce or spaghetti sauce and then add all your favorite toppings and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until your edges are crusty and golden
 brown. Serves 4 to 5 people.
Here is my pizza after baking...I had to take a piece right away...I was toooo hungry.


Life has been good here at home. I am recuperating well and I miss my Mom greatly. She help as much as she could and I truly miss her nightly back rubs. She has great strong hands like a Massotherapist and not having those massages makes me want to bring her back home again. But I was truly grateful for her stay here and for her help. I am driving now and I have been going to some great rummage sales lately. I have found some great wooden carved vases which I love wooden decor. Here in my hometown rummage sales are all over and people sometimes get rid of great things for very little money.

 Also you have noticed my new blog decor for the Fall. I am very picky about decorating and I was looking for a nice Fall background which could stay on my blog even year round. And since brown is my favorite color this one was my pick. Have a great week and I'll be posting my next dish in a few days...CHOW!

From my Caribbean Vegan Kitchen to yours...SALUD!

4 comments:

  1. Millie! Your pizza looks great! As for my stuffed cherries, instead of cornstarch, you could use guar gum. It is a bit costly but at least you would not be missing out on a nice snack!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HayMarket...thanks for the info, I will check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be making pizza for the first time this Wednesday. Pizza really is a great comfort food in everyones opinion. I love the toppings you added on yours. Isn't homegrown tomatoes the best tasting! I grow a couple myself as well : ]

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks incredible, Millie! It's time for bed, but my stomach is growling, and all I want to do is eat a slice of your pizza right now!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...