Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Sweet & Sour Pasta " A La Jardinera"



Due to the difficulty in standing I am now experiencing because of my 2 pinched nerves in my lower back, I had to stop my raw diet until I can stand well enough to prepare my meals.  Preparing my raw meals required me to stand for a long time in which I cannot do that right now.  I have been eating a lot of fresh fruit & raw vegetables, seeds & nuts but in the evening I really need a good hearty meal. So today I prepared my "Sweet & Sour Pasta A La Gardenera". This simple and easy meal full of veggies, black beans, tofu and some Spanish spices to enhance its flavor only takes me 30 minutes to make.



Recipe:

1 lb. wheat spaghetti
1/2 a block of firm tofu ( chopped in tiny pieces)
1 can black beans (washed well before adding it to the pot)
1/2 of a large cucumber or 1 small one ( diced in small pieces)
1 med. yellow onion (chopped in small pieces)
12 sprigs of fresh cilantro (chopped very finely)
10 cherry tomatoes (diced in small pieces)
1/2 c. Kikoman's Sweet & Sour sauce
1/4 c. olive oil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1/8 tsp. oregano
10 cloves of garlic (very well mashed)
1 envelope of sazon
(make sure the sazon has culantro & achiote)
1 envelope of Jamon
 ( an imitation ham seasoning that is vegan friendly...found in any Spanish store)

Cook your pasta until tender, Then in a large pot stir fry your olive oil, garlic, cilantro & onions...saute until onions are tender, then add all of your chopped ingredients with the beans into this flavorful aroma, add your salt, oregano, sazon, jamon, black pepper & sweet & sour sauce. Saute well and let it cook until pasta has absorb a little the sauce (about 5 to 10 mintes). Serve with fresh avocado & some more cherry tomatoes. Always check in case you need more salt & pepper before serving. 

You only need a nice piece of french bread with non dairy butter to make this dish complete.

Medical Update:  

I am scheduled for back surgery on Aug. 11. My surgeon found out the cause of my 20 year back pain was due to 2 pinched nerves. The 3 & 4th veterbrate on my lower back has slipped off the spinal frame and as it is falling to the left side of the spinal cord it is pinching 2 nerves which is causing me now to have both legs with severe pain. Both siatic nerves are being pinched and the pain is so dreadful that I am now on lots of pain killers & narcotics.

My surgeon will move the 2 veterbrates back into the spinal frame locking them there with 2 metal plates and 4 screws. This will adjust my veterbrates back into its straight & proper place relieving the pressure and pain on those 2 nerves that are killing me. I have had this pain for 20 years due to a car accident I had in 1990. I have gone to over 12 doctors about this pain but no one could find out why I was in such pain, finely my pain management doctor found the problem when she did an EMG of my lower extremities.  In 2 more weeks I shall be pain free. AMEN!

I will post a dish right before my surgery and then I may not be able to post any dishes for at least 2 weeks because I will be bed ridden for a while.

From my Carribean Casa to yours...SALUD!

5 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear about your back pain but glad that someone finally was able to find out what was wrong. Goodluck with your surgery..I'll keep you in my thoughts and hope you have a quick recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dish looks great - we just had fresh avocados tonight with dinner. I sure hope this surgery alleviates your pain, Millie. You deserve a break after 20 years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless your heart {{{{hugs}}} I'm so sorry you are in such pain. Praying that the surgery takes care of it once and for all. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pasta is always yummy!

    Best of luck on your back surgery. I'm sorry you have to go thru it but hopefully, it will help rid you of the pain once and for all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Millie so sorry that you have to have surgery. Just think in the not so distant future no more pain! I hope you have family to take care of you.

    Love your pasta dish!

    Take care Millie. I will be thinking of you and hoping for a quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...