Sunday, July 11, 2010

Stir Fry Plantain Bananas with Tofu & Beans




There are many fresh roots and vegetables in Puerto Rico that are commonly used throughout the island, but the most commonly used is plantain bananas. We use this banana in many different dishes, from frying them   to baking them with pork to make pasteles. A common Christmas holiday side dish served with rice & gandules.  I will post my pasteles recipe somethime near the holidays.

Plantain bananas is not only good green but when it is ripe its even better. Fried fresh eggs and ripe plantain bananas in the morning is a dish eaten by every Puerto Rican in the world.  I must say it is absolutely delicious...sorry my vegan friens...my non vegan desires took the best of me...OOPS! But any how it is a very well used banana and worldly known to many as " fried tostones"...fried green plantains.

I often make my ripe plantain bananas in a stir fry with beans & tofu...smothered in a garlic sauce made with lots of spices.


Here is my recipe, I hope you enjoy it.

2 ripe Plantain bananas
1/2 of a block of firm tofu
1 can of red kidney beans
6 spigs of fresh cilantro (chopped well)
8 pieces of garlic cloves (well mashed)
1/2 tsp. adobo
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1 chopped yellow onion
1/4 c. of olive oil
1/2 tsp. tabasco sauce
2 tablespoons of apple cider vinager
1 tsp. white flour
2 tsp. of water
1/2 an envelope of Goya Sazon with Culantro & Achiote

In a small pot simmer your sliced ripe plantain for 10 minutes. Then in a large skillet pour in your olive oil, then put in your mashed garlic, chopped cilantro and onion, saute on low until onions are tender. Add the beans, tofu, adobo, & bananas. Then add the rest of your spices except the vinegar, water & flour. In a small cup mix the vinegar, water & flour until the flour has disolved. Then pour it into the skillet with the rest of the food contents. Check to see if you feel it needs a little more salt and pepper for more taste. Let it simmer on med. until all the water contents have evaporated leaving  the plantains a little dry and serve it with brown rice or by itself...it serves 3 people...its delicious. ENJOY!

4 comments:

  1. This looks and sounds amazing. I love plantains. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This dish looks absolutely delicious! The flavours much be really rich! I love the new blog layout by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just telling someone just the other day about your blog and all the wonderful, foreign flavors it offers. This one looks great, as usual. I answered your question on my blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Siempre me encanta comer tostones, frijoles y arroz... le quitamos el queso y la carne y sale Vegan todo el tiempo! :) Y, a saber porque, nadie se cansa de comerlo todo el tiempo, gracias por compartir, lo voy a intentar con tofu!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...