Friday, June 18, 2010

"Limbe"...Puerto Rican Freezies Vegan Style




In Puerto Rico there are "Limbe" stands everywhere throughout the island. Limbe are called here in the states "Freezies" or ice cones. In our island they are served in an array of flavors, but these flavors are from pure fruits grated and pureed in a syrup form that can quench anyone's thrist and it is DELIGHTFUL!!!! We have flavors like...coconut, gooseberry, guanabana, tamarindo, guayaba, banana, pineapple, orange, and other flavors found only in Puerto Rico.

I now make limbes vegan style. Full of protein and fresh fuits. I use any fruit I want and all I do is puree it in my juicer or blender. In the photo above is my strawberry/banana/ & coconut limbe. Here is my recipe.

3 large starwberries
2 ripe banana
1 cup coconut milk
1 cup non dairy milk
3 envelopes of splenda
1 scoop of vegan protein powder

Blend everything in the blender then pour the mixture in ice cube trays.



 Freeze until they hardened and enjoy a refreshing protein limbe. I also make them with fresh fruit with no milk or protein powder...only the fruit mixed with some sugar...it is delightful. A big hit amoung the little ones.

The photo below is my coconut, pineapple & strawberry limbe.



This is my youngest grand-daughter Natalia doing her handstand in a perfect downward position...she is only 8 years old and she is in gymnastics. Hummmm.....a futre yoga instructor or a gymnastic competitor...who knows, only time will tell.



From my Caribbean Vegan Kitchen to Yours.

ENJOY


7 comments:

  1. I can't stand it anymore....I'm coming down to visit ;) They look so refreshing. Philadelphia has two rivers, so in the summer, it gets very hot and humid here. The next few days are 90 degrees/90% humidity (tropical, huh?!). I need to make these, pronto. They would be great after a run or bike ride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes they are very refreshing especially on a hot day of 90 degree weather & after running. And the good thing is that they are full of protein....Enjoy them, they are delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH, yes please! What wonderful summer fare. =)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kids would love this, Millie! Hey, whose leg is that sticking out on the side of the picture? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blessedmama...that's my oldest grand-daughter Paloma's leg. also when you make the freezies be creative, freeze fruit juices with tiny sliced fruit...I also make coconut ones. I use coconut milk with sugar & vanilla, I pour them into styrofoam cups and this way everyone can enjoy them without the sticky mess.... Enjoy them and let me know how they were.oxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...