Monday, June 14, 2010

Easy Summer Meal #2...Mandarian Orange Salad Smothered in a Carmalized Nut Dressing


Salad, baked potatoes with sour cream & baked beans with tofu

There is nothing more refreshing than a nice cold salad on a very hot day.

This salad recipe was passed down to me many years ago by a good friend and ever since then I have been making it. It is such a good salad that every time I make it I always end up eating the entire bowl in 2 days.

Last Thursday I had my church missionaries over for dinner. Since they know I am a vegan they get all excited to see what I will be serving them. This time I served them baked potaoes, baked beans with tofu & my mandarian orange salad. For dessert I had made a nice big tropical fruit salad to cool us down even more. It was a wonderful evening and they were happy to eat my food once again.

Orange Mandarian Salad

Dressing Preparation:

Step 1:

1/4 c. olive oil
2 T. red wine vinegar
2 T. sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. original tabasco sauce 

Just like the photo below...
Mix all ingredients in a jar so you can shake it well before using and set it aside.



Step 2
Carmalizing Nuts:

In a skillet pour in:

1/2 c. sliced almonds
4-5 T. sugar

Put your skillet on med. heat and stirring constantly until the sugar melts & carmalizes almonds. On a wax sheet of paper that is placed over a large plate pour your sugar mixture...try to separate the almonds apart a little and then set them aside to cool off.  Just like my photo below.

 Step 3
In a salad bowl mix these ingredients:

1 bag of combined blend lettece
1-14 oz. can mandarian oranges
1 finely chopped stem of celery
4 stems of green onions (finely chopped)

Once your almonds have cooled down, crumble them with your fingers, then add them to your salad, mix well but.... DO NOT MIX  your salad dressing with the salad until you are ready to eat it. If you are making this salad for yourself...serve yourself an individual salad in a salad bowl and pour the dressing only to the salad that you are going to eat. This way the rest of your salad will not wilt while swimming in the dressing. If you are serving a crowd then mix the salad and the dressing before serving it.

This salad can be doubled or tripled.

ENJOY!!!! 



These are our two church sister missionaries.


From Millie's Caribbean Vegan Kitchen

3 comments:

  1. That looks muy delicioso! So refreshing for the hot weather.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...