Thursday, May 20, 2010

"OLE" Pizza a la Mejicana

There is nothing better than a great scrumptious cheesy pizza...and if its homemade its even better.



 As you all know I do not eat out because its hard to find foods made vegan friendly especially pizza...but every so often I crave a good mouth watering pizza. Ordering one from a local pizzaria is impossible so I have to make my own. So here is my vegan pizza with a little Mexican flavor. It is full of protein and since its vegan friendly you can't just have only one slice. So enjoy and please let me know how you liked it.  


Pizza bread dough recipe:

2-1/2 c. wheat flour
1 envelope of high rise yeast
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. tsp. sugar
2 T. spoon olive oil
2 T. shortening
1 tsp. white vinegar

In a small cup mix your yeast with hot water...set it aside. Then in a large mixing bowl pour in your flour, salt & sugar...mix well together. pour in your mixed yeast, shortening, olive oil & mix well with clean hands...add the vineagr slowly & mix well...if you need more water or flour to get a good bread dough add graduallyflour or water as needed... mix dough well with your hands. Once you come up with a nice bread dough, knead the dough for 5 minutes. Place the dough in the mixing bowl and cover it with a clean towel...set aside, set your timer for 1 hour. Once your timer goes off, knead your bread dough for another 5 minutes, then spread your dough on a greased pizza or baking pan. Make sure your pizza edge are bent upwards to create a crusty edge. Let it rise again for another 30 minutes before placing your veggies & cheese.

Topping ingredients:

1 package of Yves Meatless Ground
(cooked well with some diced green peppers, diced onions, 3 mashed garlic, salt & pepper & some oregano flakes...simmer the meat with all these spices and use this mix on the pizza)

diced or thin sliced tomatoes, red peppers & onions
Vegan shredded cheddar cheese
1 can fat free refried beans

Once your bread timer goes off spread the refried beans on top of the pizza dough, then spread some pizza sauce over it, sprinkle a little amount of cheddar cheese on top of the sauce, then dress up the pizza with the rest of your ingredients finishing off with lots of cheddar cheese. Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown at 360 degrees on the upper level of your oven. Enjoy with a nice salad on the side. It is delicious.

Steaming hot pizza!


Nice crusty edges...delicious!


Enjoy!!! Some family photos...here is my son and his lovely family.



Her is my daughter in law Jennifer and our little girls, Paloma (10) & Natalia (8).

Thank you for stopping by.
From my Caribbean Vegan Kitchen to yours.



4 comments:

  1. Fun family pictures! So adorable.

    Is the meat substitute gluten-free? I have such a hard time finding gluten-free meat alternatives. The pizza looks yummy. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie...I just read the package again and there is nothing on it that says it is gluten free...SORRY. But there has to be some gluten free meat alternative out there that you can use. I must keep my eyes open for gluten free meats and if I do come across any of them I will let you know. One thing I did use in another pizza was vegan deli meat alternatives like ham or turkey...is there gluten free vegan deli meats you can use as a replacement for my ground meat? Thanks for stopping by sweety.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure if there are. I'll have to check. =) You are so sweet. Thank you for answering my question. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. This pizza looks really good. I bet your grandaughters would enjoy eating this.
    You have a beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...