Saturday, May 8, 2010

Homemade Mashed Potaotes, Spanish Beans, Family Photos & Chocolate Chip Pie





Beans is one of my main sources of protein. Actually I can make beans over 24 different ways and I try to cook beans about 4 times a week. I am super addicted to cheese & homemade bread...that's my weakness, but third on my list of food addictions is good homemade mash potatoes. This is a food I cannot say "NO"  to and I try to sample as many homemade mash potatoes I can to compare them to mine. Please don't feel like I am boasting because I am not...I just like to compare and savor someone else's recipe. So if you have a great mash potatoe recipe ...please send it to me. 

Today I am giving you my version of homemade mashed potaoes and I will eventually through time give you some other people's mash potatoe recipes that I thought were terrific. I hope you enjoy this meal with my Spanish beans.



Spanish Bean Recipe

1 can or freshly cooked kidney beans
whole clove of garlic (peeled & rinsed)
4 cilantro sprigs ( finely chopped & rinsed.)
1 small yellow onion & 1 red pepper (peeled, cleaned well & rinsed) 
1/2 can of tomato sauce (small can)
1/2 tsp. salt
pinch of black pepper
1/4  red crush peper
2 tablespoon of vegetable oil
1-1/2 c. vegetable broth
2 envelopes of Jamon (artifical ham flavoring)
1 envelope of Sazon (with culanto & achiote)


1.  In a food processor or blender we are going to make your homemade sofrito...mix well the onion, red pepper, cilantro & garlic. After that is done set it aside.

2.   In a nice non stick pot warm up the oil on med. heat, then add 1 large cooking spoon size of  your homemade sofrito. Saute slowly and enjoy that wonderful smell...it is divine. Then add your tomato sauce, sazon, jamon, salt,  black & red crush peppers. Saute on med. low for about 3 to 5 minutes, then add your rinsed beans with 1 -1/2 c. of vegetable broth...boil for a few minutes then taste your bean broth to see if more salt or sofrito is needed and if you want more flavor just add a teaspoon of sofrito to the beans. Boil  on med. heat then in a small cup add just a teaspoon of flour mixed with water...pour it in the beans to help create a creamy sauce. Boil the beans until the water base has evaporated a bit creating a nice sauce.  Turn off your beans when done and now mix your potatoes.

My Mash Potatoe recipe requires no measuring, though I tried to measure some of it for you to help you combine the recipe, I am so sorry guys I'm from the old school and Grandma (in her 90's) did not measure anything...she taught me to cook by preparing each meal by feel, texture & taste. It was all a pinch of that & a pinch of this. I had to learn to cook this way and this is one recipe I cannot really measure out.

Mashed Potatoes

6 large Idaho potatoes (peeled and cut in cube size)
1/2 tub of firm tofu
 vegetable broth 
non dairy milk
non dairy butter
1/3 c sour cream 
salt
black pepper

Peel and cube your potatoes then boil them with a little salt until tender. Drain well and place them in a mixing bowl. Once the potatoes are in the bowl quickly add about 1/3 c. butter, 1/2 tsp salt sprinkle in some black pepper. Mix well with beater, then add your tofu & about 1/3 c. vegetable broth, mix well until texture is smooth. then add slowly as you beat milk & then add the sour cream...mix well if you see that it is still too thick then just add a little more milk & veg. broth until a smooth texture is achieved. Mix well and taste it to see if more salt & pepper is needed. Continue this process until you come to a taste you like. Once your potatoes are done you can enjoy these good potatoes drenched with Spanish beans over them. 

Enjoy this meal, it is very filling and serve it with your favorite vegetable or salad.
Photos of my grand-daughters.

Spending time with Nana is always a weekend of fun, baking, crafts, yummy spoiled food & giggles.
My Grand-daughter Natalia is in gymnastics and when she was over for last weekend she had to show Nana her handstand. I must say I was very impressed and though she looks like she leaning on the chair, she is actually about 4 inches away from it.

Good Job Natalia!



Natalia & Paloma wanted pancakes for breakfast and that's just what they got.


The girls had fun in my apartment comples with my neighbor's bird Striker, he loves to chirp on your ear.


And the girls always love to bake when they are here. They created this chocolate pudding chocolate chip pie and it was delicioso...there was nothing left by the next day.



Pie Recipe:

1 store bought graham cracker pie crust
2 large chocolate pudding mix
1 tsp. vanilla
non dairy milk
1/2 bag of vegan chocolate chips

Mix pudding & milk, pour in chips, vanilla and pour in more milk as needed, mix well until very smooth. Pour mixture into the graham cracker pie crust and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving...its so good.

 Have a wonderful week...until then stay happy & love your neighbor.

From My Caribbean Vegan Kitchen to yours.
ADIOS!!!!


5 comments:

  1. thanks for letting me know you read my blog and i am so happy that the high raw vegan lifestyle has freed you of so many of your ailments and conditions...me too! Here's to health!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who would have thought to add tofu to mashed potatoes? What a creative idea! Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to find you- glad you've gotten rid of all those medications! :)

    http://www.vegspinz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely recipes. I'm a huge fan of potatoes too. Yummy!

    Cute photos of your grandchildren too. Isn't being a grandmother the best?? =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice presentation of mashed potatoes and those beans look yummy!
    You must have fun with your two grandaughters.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...