Sunday, April 11, 2010

Super Foods?

  My extended family who are not vegans know that I can serve them a wonderful scrumptious meal without meat...they are now used to my vegan dinners and pasteries but I wish I could change their eating habits, especially in choosing good super foods instead of fast foods. Though it may take a lot of prayer to change them, I think by me setting the example on how to eat well is all I can do.

I spent some time searching out what super foods are the best...and this is the list I came up with. I then looked in my food storage and fridge and I noticed I have all of them. As a vegan I try to eat well with foods that are healing to my body and not hurting it. Knowing that I eat all these foods brought a smile to my face  realizing I am eating right while reducing many health problems that may appear in the future.  Here is my list of good foods to eat and the nutritonal value they provide is amazing.

Blueberries
Blueberries is  the greatest cancer fighter around. They are the best source of pterostilbene...an antioxidant that slashed precancerous lesions by 57 %. It also has kaempferol...a flavonoid linked to a 40 % decrease in ovarian cancer. Blueberries lowers blood pressure & cholesterol. It rejuvenates brain cells, it shields against infections and it keeps women's bones strong. This wonderful fruit improves memory by protecting your brain from inflamation and boosting communication between brain cells.

Grapes
Grapes is a leading source of reserveratrol, the plant chemical responsible for the heart healthy benefits of red wine. They are delicious and you cannot eat just one.

Shiitake Mushrooms
One serving from this veggie (about 1/4 lb.) provides as much vitamin D as a glass of milk

Barley
Barley is a top source of beta-glucan, a fiber that lowers cholesterol and helps control blood sugar.

Watercress
Watercress only has 4 calories per cup, this veggie delivers a hefty dose of vitamin K, zeaxanthin, lutein, beta carotene and cancer fighting phytochemicals.

Oranges
One Orange supplies more than 100% of vitamin C you need in a day.Its also a great source of calcuim and folate.

Canola Oil
One tablespoon of this heart healthy oil has all the alpha-linolenic acid you need in a day, plus two different forms of vitamin E.

Brazil Nuts
They have more selenium than any other food. One nut delivers your entire day's worth!

Soy Milk
Soy milk is a source of vegetable protein. Calcuim enriched soy milk has as much calcuim as cow's milk.

Mustard Greens
These "greens" are a top souce of vitamin K. For a tasty pesto, chop them in a food processor with garlic, walnuts, parmesan cheese and olive oil...Yummy!

Baked Potato
Every baked potato is packed with a mega dose of potassium lowering blood pressure far more than a banana. Each bake potato is only 100 calories....EXCELLENT!

Sweet Potato
Half of a baked sweet potato delivers more than 450% of your daily dose of vitamin A, which protects your vision and your immune system.

Flaxseed
Not only is flaxseed loaded with plant omega-3, it also has more lignans (componds that may prevent endometrial and ovarian cancer) than any other food. It stays in its best flavor and natural state if kept in the refrigerator...sprinkle in oatmeal, shakes, fruit, cereal, or yogurt.

Dried Tart Cherries
Researchers at Michigan State University found their potent anthocyanins helps control blood sugar, reduce insuline and lower cholesterol.

Wheat Germ
A quarter cup of wheat germ gives you more than 40% of your daily vitamin E and immune boosting selenium.

Whole Wheat English Muffin
You get 4 1/2 grams of fiber for only 134 calories.

Peanut Butter
This smart spread has arginine, an amino acid that helps keep blood vessels healthy.

Blackberry
This kind of berry boasts more antioxidants than strawberries, cranberries, or blueberries.

Spinach
A half a cup provides more than five times your daily dose of vitamin K, which helps blood clot and builds strong bones.

Canned Pumpkin
Its filled with natural cancer fighters alpha and beta carotene.

Cauliflower
Even though they say white food is not good for you, this white food is packed with cancer fighting glucosinolates.

Collard Greens
They are exploding with nutrients like vitamin A, zeaxanthin and lutein,which keep your eyes healthy.

Olives
They deliver the same heart healthy monounsaturated fat you get in olive oil, but for just 7 calories per jumbo olive.

Brown Rice
Its a top source of magnesium, a mineral your body uses for more than 300 chemical reactions (such as building bones & converting food into energy).

Black Beans
These beans are loaded with protein, fiber and flavnoids-antioxidants that help your arteries stay relaxed and pliable.

Kiwi  
Italian researchers found that it reduces asthma-related wheezing thanks to its high vitamin C contents (one kiwi has 110 % of your daily requirement).

Sunflower Seeds
A quarter cup of these seeds delivers half your days vitamin E, which keeps your heart healthy and fights infections.

Asparagus
A half a cup gives you 50 % of your bone building vitamin K and a third of your days folate. Its a natural diuretic so it banishes bloating.

Lentiles
A great source of meat free protein, a half a cup of cooked lentiles also gives you half your daily folate, a B vitanin that protects a woman's unborn baby from neural tube defects.

Bran Flakes
Their whole grain keeps your heart in tip top shape by reducing inflamation and melting away belly fat.

The joy of eating well allows you to enjoy life to its fullest.

Millie's Caribbean Vgan Cuisine

9 comments:

  1. Great list! Very thorough and helpful. Good job. One other thing - they all taste good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you blessedmama. its a good list of good foods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful list, Millie. I try to set a good example for my relatives as well. It is such a blessing that some of them are changing their eating habits and getting healthier. (Not just because of me, of course.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Millie! I'd love to try your homemade tortilla recipe. If you want, you can email me at bphillips[at]memphisflyer[dot]com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Millie,

    I responded to your question on my blog. Come and check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Millie,

    regarding the question that you left for us. We are in the middle of moving and I have given all my pots and pans away. Otherwise I would in a heartbeat. =) Thank you for asking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post. Thanks for the kind words on my page. I am so sorry to hear about the losing Sammy. Cancer is awful. I cherish every moment with my two little guys. Time is passing so fast, I take tons of pictures to remember everything. They are so fun to be around. They are my happiness.

    Hope you have a lovely Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great list of foods. I'm so sorry as well to hear about the loss of your son to cancer. Yet another reason to eat a healthier way. Maybe with your change of diet and the family seeing how much healthier you are they will gradually make the change. Especially those beautiful grandkids of yours. There are so many other wonderful reasons to go vegan such as how it's more gentle on the earth and more compassionate.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...