Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Gluten Free Sweet Easter Braided Bread


HAPPY EASTER


I thought a lot on what Easter treat can I make for all of you this year and after thinking for a while, I decided to make my rolled up braided Easter bread. Usually I make them large like a bread loaf size and I decorate them with colored eggs for my non vegan family and friends; but this time I made mini size ones that are gluten free... vegan style. They turned out very good but they are better with regular white flour. As you know I am slowly making my transition from regular vegan food products to gluten free-vegan & raw. It is going to take some time until I get used to this  change, but I must admit my stomach loves it since this change occurred.  I AM HAPPY! 

I hope everyone enjoys these mini sweet breads...if you like you can make one giant braided sweet bread instead of 5 smaller one. I hope you all have a wonderful Easter and please try not to over eat...you may regret it later. Chow away my friend!

A small note:  I purchased this delicious gluten free flour blend at Our Nature's Bin Cleveland Store (nature'sbin.com).  We are blessed in having  this wonderful natural store suited for every diet imaginable. Thank you Nature's Bin!.


 

Recipe and steps

2 1/2 c. gluten free flour
2 c. sugar
1/4 c. melted non dairy butter
2 teaspoon of vanilla
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. salt
1/3 c. white vinegar
2 tablespoons of egg replacement
1/4 c. non dairy milk

In a large mixing bowl mix together all your dry ingredients...blend well. Then in another bowl blend together your vinegar, butter, vanilla & milk...then slowly add your wet ingredients to the mixture of dried ingredients. Mix slowly as you add them both together.  Then slowly add extra flour until your dough is no longer sticky. Place your mixture on a floured surface and mix gently and as you mix you can slowly add more flour if needed. Once your dough feels nice and fluffy to the touch divide your mixture into 15 rolled out balls, that will make 5 sweet mini breads. Roll out 3 balls at a time into long shaped strands like the picture below.



Then braid your strands together and then roll it up like the picture below.



Once you have all 5 breads braided and roll up then brush them with melted non dairy butter. This trick gives them a little shine and a buttery taste. Then on top of the brushed butter sprinkle white sugar and Easter colored sprinkles. Bake for 25 minutes at 360 degrees.

When they are done take them out of the oven and immediately remove them from the hot baking pan with a wide spatula onto a cool surface. They are delicious. I hope you may enjoy them as much as we did. Everyone wanted one so everyone got their own sweet bread with some cold milk... it was superb! 


 The melted butter glizzens with the sugar.

Millie's Caribbean Vegan Cuisine


5 comments:

  1. This looks really yummy! I am glad you took pictures while you were making it. That stuff goes miles to make people more comfortable in making your dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look so lovely!! You are a creative genius, my friend. =)

    How are you feeling? Been thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Millie,

    Regarding your question about gluten free products and headaches: I would stop eating the gluten-free flours and such to see if that is the problem. It is my feeling that some gluten-free flours and products may be a problem for some people. I don't eat gluten-free products every day because they do cause mild problems for me.

    I would try to stick with fruits, vegetables, and whatever nuts and seeds you can tolerate until you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your easter bread looks beautiful. I love the sprinkles! I've cooked once or twice with gluten free flour. I've made cookies and a rice flour cake. It's nice, they tasted great!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...