Monday, March 8, 2010

"Guanimos"....Another Poor Man's Dinner



Since I had my shoulder surgery, I've been blessed in having my 83 year old aunt here everyday caring for me. She is such a great cook and since I had not eaten this meal since I left Puerto Rico 32 years ago, she wanted to make it for me. My aunt made white flour guanimos for me since I am highly allergic to corn meal, but she made corn meal guanimos for everyone else. It does taste better if its made with the corn meal. It is one of the many poor man's dinners that continue to be a crowd pleaser and it is one the many favorites served today throughout the island. This meal is very filling and so easy to make and its very inexpensive. This dish is always served with a marinated salad of avocados, tomatoes, onions, cod fish and olive oil. But since I do not eat fish I just had the marinated salad without the cod fish. I hope you enjoy it as much as we all did.
4 c. flour or corn meal
1 tsp. salt
2 tablespoons of sugar
1/3 c. melted non-dairy butter
hot water
In a large pot put water to boil with a teaspoon of salt. Then in a mixing bowl pour in flour, salt & sugar...mix well and then add butter and mix in slowly some hot water until the dough becomes like a soft bread dough feel. Knead for only 5 minutes then take out a golf ball size pieces and roll them out into a long rolls...just like the ones in the picture. Put each roll into the boiling water and boil them for 20 minutes. Serve with a great salad...I hope you can enjoy this poor man's dinner from Puerto RICO.
Millie's Caribbean Vegan Kitchen


7 comments:

  1. What a clever way to cook up a staple grain and make it super yummy!

    How you are feeling? Been thinking of your lots. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. its been difficult sleeping on my living chair since i cannot lay flat in bed; because being on my back causes my shoulder to hurt really bad. but i have faith and the great outlook of knowing that tomorrow is a new day and another day of improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love traditional meals, and I really like how your blog always showcases them! Sometimes the tastiest meals are those that have been passed down the line for generations, and don't cost an arm and a leg. I also think it's wonderful that your aunt is still in such a condition that she can care for you - I hope you heal quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Millie! I am so happy to add your blog to my blog roll - thanks for stopping by & saying "Hi". This dish looks really delicious! I hope you have a speedy & complete recovery.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tami, thank you so much for your support and for the advertisement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there! You asked for my blog address, so here it is:

    http://veggiegirlvegan.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look very yummy! I love corn meal, I usually just make polenta with it but I will try this next time.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...