Monday, February 1, 2010

Cabbage & Noodles



Delicious!

Every year on the last weekend of June our city has their annual International Festival. This is a time when every culture imaginable unites together to sell their cultural foods. One race in particular that always ends up being sold out of Cabbage & Noodles is the Hungarian culture. As a hairdresser for the past 33 years I was blessed in learning how to make this dish from my Hungarian clients. Even though my cabbage & noodles does come out like theirs, through time I have added a little more flavor to their recipe with some fresh garlic & oregano. This little additive gives this dish a little Spanish flair which has become a great hit among my family. I hope you all enjoy this meal, it is very good and it is also a great dish to make when a crowd unites together for some good food.
Recipe

1 package of either flat, wavy noodles or spaghetti noodles
1 green cabbage (chopped finely by hand or in food processor)
1/4 c. non dairy butter
1 large yellow onion (chopped)
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/3 c. olive oil
8 well mashed garlic cloves

Boil your noodles until tender. In a large pot or skillet pour onions, garlic, butter, simmer well for about 10 minutes on low then add the shredded cabbage, salt & black pepper. Cover & simmer for about 20 minutes. Add drained noodles, olive oil & oregano, also add another spoonful of butter, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Serve it with a tossed salad & some french bread or it is also great to eat on its own.
Serves about 6.

Millie's Caribbean Vegan Cuisine

5 comments:

  1. The festival sounds like so much fun! I'd love to be there one day. =) Cabbage, I love cabbage prepared any way at all. Your recipe looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come on down...the festival is really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoo Hoo! Vegan with a kick. I like it. Thanks for coming to my blog. I'll add you as a link. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful recipe! I'm making it tonight for my husband - cabbage & noodles are his comfort food. Any suggestions for a good protein source to round out the meal? I can't figure out what else to serve with this. Cubed tofu just doesn't seem to work...

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I make cabbage & noodles I usually have it with a great salad and some homemade wheat bread with non dairy butter and I always have a great protein drink...(fresh strawberries, bananas, protein powder, vegan milk, 2 splenda envelopes (or 1 tsp. sugar), or use any fresh food you have. You'll get 24 grams of protein from your drink alone. Let me know what you came up with.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...