Sunday, September 6, 2009

Spanish Red Rice & Beans Served with Fresh Tomatoes, Glazed Yam & Steamed Green Beans


Okay everyone...no more playing around. I had a very busy summer but now I am ready to cook and serve some good Latin cuisine. This week I took advantage of some of my home grown tomatoes and I served them with some glazes yam chunks and some great Puerto Rican red rice & beans. The smell of the rice cooking reminded me of my Grandmother’s house...it was divine. I truly love that Latin food and I had to share it with you. I hope it is as delightful to you as it was for me. ENJOY!

Millie’s Red Rice & Beans


1 large cooking spoon of cooking oil
3 TB. Spoons of Sofrito...recipe on bottom of page
1 small chopped onion
2 envelopes of Sazon (photo in ingredient file)
2 envelopes of Jamon flavoring...(photo in ingredient file)
1 can tomato sauce
4 cups brown rice

(For Brown rice only...rinse & let it soak in water for about 10 min. before using. For white rice users-do not rinse until you are ready to put it in the pot and do not soak in water)

1 can red beans
4 cups hot boiling water
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. black pepper
1/8 tsp. red crushed peppers

In a non-stick pot pour in cooking oil on medium heat. Once the oil is hot add diced onions and sofrito mixture...saute and enjoy the great aroma. Then add tomato sauce, Sazon & Jamon envelopes and saute, add red beans, saute, add rice...mix well with all the pot seasonings, saute for about 2 minute...add salt, crushed peppers, black pepper and mix well. Then add boiling water. Stir and taste the rice broth to see if it needs more salt. Add salt if needed. Let it boil on medium heat until all the water has evaporated.

DO NOT COVER POT
until all the water has evaporated.

Once all the water has evaporated completely stir it well removing any rice grains that may be stuck around the edges of the pot, set heat on low and cover the pot with aluminum foil (tightly) and then put the pot lid on top of foil. Let it cook for 20 to 25 minutes, then stir well again...remember to remove any rice grains from edges, recover pot with foil & lid and let it cook for another 15 to 20 minutes. Serve hot with your favorite side dish...its delicious.

Serves 4...maybe 5
*******************************************

Recommendations as side dishes:

Fried plantain bananas
Grilled vegan chicken cutlets
Grilled vegetables & BBQ tofu
tossed salad
glazed yams
or french fries
*************************************
Sofrito Recipe:
1 small onion
10 sprigs of fresh cilantro
6 individual pieces of garlic
1 red pepper
Wash well and cut all ingredients, then place them in a food processor or blender. Mix well on chop mode...it can be stored in the refrigerator for 3 months and in freezer for 1 year. Use it to spice up any dish to give it a great Latin flavor.

2 comments:

  1. ok this is on the menu. would u like me to post it on my blog when I get around to making it. I crave for an authentic Latin dish. I sent u the email

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure...it would be good to hear what you thought of it. Thanks...hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...