Monday, September 28, 2009

Grandpa's White Chocolate & Coconut Whiskers


I lost both my grand-fathers when I was a little baby, so I never got the opportunity to meet them. Fortunately 27 years ago I joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and I met there a very nice and loving couple. Bro. Osborne became the Grandpa I never had and in his honor I made these cookies, naming them Grandpa’s Whiskers because he had the most beautiful silvery mustache. Grandpa Osborne passed away a year ago at the age of 90 but he will forever be loved and remembered every time I make these wonderful cookies. I hope you all may love them as much as I do.

Grandpa’s White Chocolate & Coconut Whiskers

1/2 can coconut milk
2/3 c. brown sugar
½ c. shortening
1 ½ c. coconut flakes
4 c. flour
2 c. raisins
½ tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla
¼ tsp. almond oil
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
1 c. confectionery sugar
1 bag of dairy free white chocolate chips

In a large mixing bowl mix together flour, salt, cinnamon, baking soda, 2/3 cup of coconut flakes, confectionery sugar & brown sugar...mix well. Then add vanilla, almond oil, raisins & coconut milk & shortening...mix well by hand...if dough seem a little dry to you then add " slowly" more coconut milk until a good dough consistency is achieved...but do not let it become to moist. Roll into golf size balls placing them 1 inch apart onto a grease baking pan. Bake them for 12 to 14 minutes at 360 degrees.

Once the cookies are done remove them right away from the baking pan and let them cool off. Now melt your white chocolate chips in the microwave stirring constantly. Then dip half of the cookie into the chocolate and into the left over coconut flakes, sprinkle with some chocolate sprinkles and let them harden a bit. They are so good with some rice milk.

Enjoy!
From my vegan kitchen to your.

3 comments:

  1. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    Vincent
    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, now I am craving cookies. Those look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Millie! Just saw your comment on my post about the cupcake caddy. It's a Mainstays brand, which means it came from Wal-Mart. I know Wilton makes one too, but I bet the Wal-Mart brand one is cheaper.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...