Thursday, July 16, 2009

Scrumptious Vegan Lasagna






For Mother’s Day I had my son and his family over for dinner. Since my daughter in law is also vegan I made her my lasagna. She had never had my lasagna but she loved it so much it was hard for her to stop eating it. So here is my lasagna and I hope you may all enjoy it.

Sauce Recipe

1 jars of your favorite spaghetti sauce
1 tsp. Olive oil
¼ c. red wine vinegar
1/3 c. sugar
1 can tomato paste
1 med. can diced tomatoes (drained)
¼ c. Parmesan cheese
½ tsp. Oregano
½ tsp. Italian seasoning
½ tsp. Red crush pepper
1 tsp. Salt
¼ c. fresh chopped cilantro
4 garlic cloves (mashed well)
1 large (diced) onion
½ c. sofrito mixture (recipe on bottom of post)
2 packages of non-dairy mozzarella (shredded)
1 firm tofu (sliced in long slices)
1 non-dairy gourmet mozzarella block cheese (sliced in long slices)
1 or 2 packages of Yves Meatless Ground (12 0z.) (photo on top of post)
(I used only 1 and it was enough)

Boil 8 slices of whole wheat lasagna noodles in ½ tsp. of salt
In a nice non stick pan saute sofrito and a teaspoon of olive oil. Slowly add onions, cilantro and mashed garlic, saute in low heat for about 5 minutes, add all other spices, saute lightly. Add meatless ground meat to pot, saute lightly, add to mixture your sugar and salt...saute. Mix in a separate bowl the tomato paste and red wine vinegar then add to pot mixture. Saute lightly and then add spaghetti sauce. Cook on low heat for 30 minutes.

Drain well your noodles. Add a tablespoon of olive oil to the noodles and mix well and set aside.

Use a 13 x 9 x 2 size lasagna pan. Spread some sauce on the bottom of the pan. Lay 4 lasagna noodles the long way, pour some spaghetti sauce over noodles, lay tofu and gourmet mozzarella cheese on top, add some more sauce over sliced cheese and top with shredded cheese and some Parmesan. Add another layer of noodles, and repeat the procedure again. Top well the top layer with shredded mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
.
Bake for 45 minutes (covered) at 380 degrees. Remove from oven and uncover lasagna for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with garlic bread and salad.
Serves 5 to 6 people.

Sofrito Mixture

In blender put 8 fresh cloves of garlic
2 green bell peppers
1 large onion (cut in quarters)
a hand full of fresh cilantro

Mix well in blender and add the needed amount to the lasagna sauce. Whatever is left over can be use in soup, stews, rice, chowder, meat for grilling or beans. Its fabulous and it will stay fresh for 3 months. If you plan to make my Spanish rice & beans you will need this mixture.

Millie’s Vegan Kitchen

1 comment:

  1. Having some problems posting to your blog. I just said that I will make this lasagna when I have a big family gathering as I will eat all myself. Your daughter in law is so lucky. This is tempting me esp how you have it sliced

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...